Sometimes a menial task in your kitchen can be tiresome. The small minuscule task can take a few minutes of your day and turn into a nightmare. For instance: Peeling vegetables, Knead or rolling flour, separating eggs, etc. Onions are the important ingredient of any kitchen and help enrich the taste and flavor of various recipes. Unfortunately, even when it helps to enhance the taste of the food, peeling onion can be a challenging and daunting task.
The other challenge with onion is that when you slice or cut it, the chemical is released, and tears start to fall. What if we told you there’s an easy hack for peeling onion, which can save a lot of time and effort? Follow the below-listed steps to peel your onions easily.
1. Easiest Way Peeling onion from side
- Take an onion and cut it into two pieces vertically.
- Now take both pieces of onion and place them cut side down on the cutting board.
- Remove the unwanted part at the top and bottom of both pieces.
- Now remove the top layer of both the parts individually.
- Take both the pieces of onion and rinse them under the running tap water. One will help you get rid of any remaining residue, and the other will reduce the eruption caused to the eyes.
- Cut both the pieces of onion into thin slices.
- Turn your cutting board ninety degrees after slicing, and you can easily dice your onion as well.
2. Easiest Way Peeling onion with heat
- Take a frying pan and heat it.
- Cut the onion from half into two different pieces, remove the unwanted part from both pieces.
- Stab the folk in the cut side of the onion and place the skin side facing the frying pan.
- Once you see the outer layer of the onion coming out, lift the onion and pull it off.
3. Spot on method
- Take the onion and put it down on the chopping board, peel side down.
- Hold one end of the onion with your palm and put the side of the thumb on your other hand on the other edge of the onion where you want the layers to separate.
- Apply firm pressure on both sides, and the peeled onion will come out. It might take a few minutes right in the beginning; later, it will become an easy task.
4. Slit method
This is the traditional method of peeling onion.
- Cut the onion into two halves.
- Now place the ‘cut side’ of one half on the chopping board and mark vertical slits in the onion from the top to the root end.
- On the same half mark, horizontal slits in the onion from the top to the root end.
- Chop the onion perpendicular to the first set of vertical slits.
The problem with this method is that you might see a big chunk of onion towards the root end that you then have to chop up separately. It may not be a huge task, but when the amount of onion you are peeling is more, it might become additional work.
image source: pixabay